Essential lessons to teach your child
BY SHERRY THOMAS
Here is my list of what every child should be taught in life:
• Etiquette, manners, courtesies
• Speaking skills
• Debating skills: How to express a point of view in a calm, precise manner; how to listen and not interrupt
• Money lessons: The power of earning something
• Work: The sense of pride that comes with paying for something with your own money; how hard work pays off. Take them to a farm and let them explore how things are planted, grown, harvested. Give them seeds and have them water them and watch them grow. What a great life lesson about nurturing and patience and responsibility.
• Community service and giving: Take them to volunteer at soup kitchens and homeless shelters
• International cuisine: Opening their palates to the many different flavors, spices and food from around the world also opens their minds to other cultures. One night a week, enjoy the gastronomy from another county. Have Indian night, Hungarian night, Moroccan night. Either prepare it together or dine out. This will expose your child to worlds beyond, open conversation about that country and is a great opportunity to pull up a few facts and history regarding the country and its people. Print out a few pictures and talk about it while enjoying that country’s specialty dishes.